How to Squat High Bar Back Squats
High Bar Back Squats
- Setup under the center of the bar with it resting on your upper traps
- Place your hands wide on the bar, squeeze your back tight as you pull your hands toward the center as far as you can
- Lock hands on bar with very tight grip
- Rotate elbows down (facing the ground) and straighten the wrists
- Take a deep breath, hold it
- Unrack bar and step backward, getting into your stance with as minimal steps as possible
- Feet should be approximately shoulder width apart with toes pointed outward at a comfortable angle for your body type, typically any where from 10 – 45 degree angle
- Let air out, and reset air pulling chest upward and ensuring elbows are facing down, head should remain forward to slightly up
- With weight on the middle of your feet (not toes) shift hips backward
- As the hips move backward, drop down into the hole maintaining an upright torso position tracking the knees over your toes (imagine there is a string attached to your chest keeping it up and facing forward)
- Descend until you reach the bottom position (as far as you can go)
- Still holding your air, drive upward out of the hole locking the hips forward at the peak with a powerful glute contraction.
- Repeat steps 4-12.