It’s rare to be involved in a fight where a walls, fences, cars, poles… cages are not involved. I can rarely think of a real fight that I have seen (whether on video or in person) where the fighters have not had hard objects around them. Yet sometimes in our training, we ignore the important value of fighting against a wall (I’ll use wall as a blanket term for all of the previously mentioned hard objects). Most of us martial artists train in an open environment where the wall is not used, not trained against, and is not taken into the equation of real combat training.
Luckily for myself and those who have trained in the H2H Combat System over the years – the wall has become a very important part of our training. Personally, I use the wall extensively in my training. One of favorite training environments was in my instructors home built dojo. It was a shed that was converted into a traditional Japanese Ju-Jitsu dojo in his backyard. It could fit about 12 adults. The walls were re-enforced and when we sparred, the walls were ALWAYS used. We would pin each other against the wall, do takedowns against the wall, use it to our advantage to get up, or to keep a stronger opponent down. Along the way – we learned vital skills that are necessary for using a wall for takedowns and using the wall to get back to our feet.
These techniques are obviously useful for self-defense and real combat. You can learn to use the wall effectively to subdue your attacker – but you also must learn how to defend against being taken down against the wall.
So what I did for you guys is shot 2 videos the other night
Self-Defense Takedowns Using the wall
Technical Standup when pinned against the wall
Check them out and let me know what you think!
- H2H Combat System Manual and Videos – The most complete Military Hand-to-Hand Combat Manual that gives you 95% of the necessary responses to end a street fight situation.
- Street Fighting Uncaged Manual – Learn Viscous and Brutal Illegal MMA techniques that can be used to defend yourself in a real street fight
- Certified H2H Combat instructor in the H2H System
- 2nd Degree Black Belt in Kobukai Ju-Jitsu
- Purple Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- Competitor in Jiu-Jitsu, Grappling and MMA
- Operated Self-defense and Ju-Jitsu School in Cromwell, CT
- Brown Belt in Kobukai Ju-Jitsu
- Blue Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
- EXPERT Division Competitor in No-Gi Grappling
- Professional MMA Fighter 4-0 (all wins by submission)